Last week our music minister, Randall, came to do the Devotion we have at work every Wednesday morning. I am so glad our Interim Director suggested this idea a few months ago and it has been an amazing way for those of us who work there to take time out of our crazy, busy, and sometimes draining work week to stop what we are doing for a few minutes to get some much needed words of encouragement. This last week Randall really knocked it out of the ballpark with his message.
Yes I know he is MY pastor, you might call me a bit biased in my opinion then. But seriously he was awesome and made me really proud to be a member of The Grove.
One thing he spoke about was that in our work, we serve as a "bridge" between the people we help every day and the programs and services that we have available to our community. I had never really thought about it that way but once he said it, it made perfect sense. I find myself repeating that to myself so many times now. I am so grateful that overall my part of the job is rewarding and most people are very appreciative of what we all try to do for them. Some don't and that can make for a tough day, but it only takes one person to come out with that look of joy or relief to make it all worth while. Sometimes a simple "thank you" can make it a much better day for us.
But outside of work I see how being a "bridge" to my friends and family is just as rewarding. I try to always remember that when someone calls on me where I can help, that it is pleasing in the eyes of God for me to do so and therefore, I always try to be that for them.
Then there are the times where my good intentions was that road straight to h-e-double hockey sticks. It just sucks when you can't see the difference before you go diving in that pool of "good intentions"
I finally figured out that for me the best way to tell the difference is look at the situation. If someone runs into hard times, or difficult situations that were unavoidable, or not by their own doing then yes, we need to do what we can to lift them up and help them out, because what if that was you or I, would we not look for the help and hope that someone was there for us?
Then I see those who just continually make bad choices and don't learn from it (What is that saying, "insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results?") People who say and do things that makes their lives a mess, but blame anyone else for the pickle they have got themselves into.
There is where I draw the line. I have to remember that what I do not only affects me, but this young man that God has in trusted to me to care for, protect, and raise. If I spend one minute, one dollar, or one bead of sweat on someone or something that is just going to be a waste of my time, then I have taken it away from myself and him. That's not cool in my book.
So yea, Ill be the bridge, just remember drive all the way across and have a good destination once you get to the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment